Cheshire school paves the way for mobile phone pouches to be introduced across the county
By The Editor 16th Feb 2026
A Cheshire school has paved the way for mobile phone pouches to be introduced across the borough.
Members of Cheshire East Council's children and families committee has today (February 16) backed proposals to reiterate the Department for Education's guidance for schools on prohibiting the use of mobile phones throughout the school day.
The committee also agreed to work closely with the Police and Crime Commissioner to support the ambition for Cheshire to become the first county in the country where every secondary school adopts lockable phone pouches by September 2026.
This follows the success seen at Tytherington School - one of nine schools that implemented the pouches at the beginning of the current academic year.
Headteacher Manny Botwe said: "We've seen an immediate improvement in behaviour and concentration in class.
"Safeguarding concerns linked to phones and social media have already taken a noticeable dip, and students are engaging more positively with their learning and with one another."
Dan Price, Cheshire Police and Crime Commissioner, added: "When I launched the campaign at the end of last year to make Cheshire the first county with phone‑free education, I knew it would get attention.
"The progress speaks for itself - we've gone from nine schools to 45 already using or planning to use lockable phone pouches.
"We're well on track to hit the target. And with Cheshire East Council now backing this tougher approach on phones in schools, the initiative has even more support behind it.
"This isn't just about distraction. It's about cutting off opportunities for criminals and reducing online safeguarding risks. All helping to keep young people safer as we push to make every Cheshire state high school phone‑free by September 2026."

The committee's decision sits alongside a Notice of Motion 'Prohibiting Smartphone Use in Local Authority Schools'.
The motion was introduced at full council in December 2025 and was subsequently referred to the children and families committee for further consideration.
Councillor Laura Crane, chair of Cheshire East Council's children and families committee, said: "Ensuring the wellbeing, safety and focus of our children and young people is a priority for this council.
"The Department for Education's guidance is clear, and by supporting schools to adopt consistent approaches to limiting mobile phone use during the school day, we can help create calmer learning environments where pupils are better able to concentrate and thrive.
"We also welcome the opportunity to work closely with the Police and Crime Commissioner and with schools involved in Cheshire so far.
"Currently thirteen Cheshire East secondary schools have expressed an interest with the PCC.
"This is ultimately about giving every child the best chance to succeed, free from unnecessary pressures and interruptions, and ensuring our schools remain places where they can learn, socialise and feel safe."
CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
sandbach vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: sandbach jobs
Share: