Millers convincingly see off Sandbach

By Guest

16th Nov 2021 | Local Sport

A lacklustre performance from Sandbach United saw them fall to a 4-0 defeat to promotion-chasing New Mills FC.

Due to the suspension of Billy Buckley and the serious injury sustained by defensive stalwart Brad Cooper against the Isle of Man, Andy Hockenhull made some changes to the starting line-up ahead of a trip into Derbyshire for an important league fixture.

The Ramblers started in the worst possible way, as the hosts took the lead in the opening minute when Benito Lowe scored from a corner.

Jack Hart looked to be the main creative spark in a shocked Sandbach side, and it was his bending cross that was volleyed wide by Robbie Hatton after 8 minutes.

New Mills looked to take advantage of their downhill attack with raking long balls over the Sandbach defence and used that exact method to score their second after 14 minutes.

Teddy Osipitan controlled the pass before sliding a shot to Danny Hamlett's right and into the net.

Sandbach thought they had halved the deficit after 20 minutes when a near-post header was clawed off the line by Dylan Forth before the Millers cleared their lines.

Sandbach continued their dominance of possession for long spells of the second half but couldn't find that killer pass to truly threaten the home goal.

After the interval, Forth made a crucial double save to keep the Ramblers from scoring. A beautiful display of skill from Hart was matched only by the quick reflexes from the keeper to keep the strike at bay, before he dove to his left to parry behind a Stanley Tatters rebound.

Osipitan scored his second on the hour mark as he broke into the box and fired a powerful shot past

Hamlett, who could only get a fingertip onto the effort. New Mills scored their fourth goal 5 minutes later through Rick Tindall, after Hamlett parried a powerful shot straight to the strikers feet in the 6-yard box, and he was left with the simplest of finishes.

Hockenhull made a triple substitution in an effort to mount an unlikely comeback, with Steve Jones, Matt Pearson and Liam Fitzpatrick all entering the field.

It was the latter who came the closest to scoring mere minutes after his entrance, after he steered a McDonnell flick on towards the far corner but a fantastic block from the hosts prevented the goal.

Sandbach continued to press for a goal, but the home side defended soundly and kept them at bay until the final whistle, ending a disappointing afternoon for the Cheshire side.

Due to other results in the NWCFL, both teams remain in 3rd and 7th until the next round of league fixtures.

Sandbach United now turn their attention to the exciting Cheshire Cup tie against EFL side Crewe Alexandra on Tuesday 16th November.


Related Articles

The team celebrate with the coveted trophy.
Local Sport

Young footballers from Sandbach United win cup trophy

Photo - Duncan Edward
Local Sport

Klein-Davies strike seals Sandbach victory

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Sandbach with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.